Important mailing information:
I know some of you have been asking about mailing things to Antonia or to me while I’m here, so here is everything I found out today (Incidentally, I think this is hilarious and typical Belize…)
If you mail a package,
1) It should be mailed to Antonia Flowers, Principal, Santa Familia RC school- even if it is for someone else in the village. It costs money to pick up packages here, and sometimes, if they don’t know its coming or don’t know what it is, they won’t pay to pick it up (customs charges some kind of tax- 10% I think). Sending it to the school instead of me or Antonia cuts down on the expense, and they won’t charge her as much.
2) Never put the actual value of the items inside. The most value you should ever claim for the package is $25. The money charged for picking up the package is a percentage of whatever you say the package is worth.
3) If you include something for the postman (for example, a watch) he will take the gift and overlook the charge (seriously).
4) If you send it to me, because I am an American, they will charge me double.
5) If you mail through Global Express, it will make it here in 5-10 days. If you use regular mail, it could take much longer.
6) Letters are fine, and can be sent without charge to:
Santa Familia Village
Belize, Central America
Any other questions, email me!
Thanks so much for keeping in touch and for emails and comments. They mean a lot!